[haiku] Mailing lists and etiquette (was: Suggestions to change double click on window title behaviour)

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 09:38:44 -0800

Howdy,

Some posts of the "Suggestions to change double click on window title
behaviour" thread here...

//www.freelists.org/post/haiku/Suggestions-to-change-double-click-on-window-title-behaviour,60

...are headed in the direction of a discussion about mailing lists, so I
am starting a new thread here.

On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 16:37 +0100, Eddy Groen wrote:
> Well Koki, you could just *say* it too. Diplomacy is not the same
> thing as implying something and later on scoffing people for not
> getting your point.

There was no scoffing: I thought Johan would take the hint, but he did
not, so I just made it crystal clear. Nothing more, nothing less.

> Then again, you could also have made the mere existence of this list
> known just a tad earlier (maybe a week ago or so, or perhaps during
> any of the other six recent UI discussions preceding this one).

I am not the list admin or moderator, so I don't know why this should be
my responsibility.

Off topic discussions are not new, and there has always been a degree of
tolerance for them, particularly since in many cases they die out soon
enough. But when they become this pervasive and lengthy, then they
become a nuisance (IMHO), which is why I made my voice heard.

> Because basically NOBODY seems consciously aware of the list except
> you. When I asked Haiku, Inc. whether there would be a Master's thesis
> possibility related to UI / cognitive ergonomics, Dennis (D'Entremont)
> pointed me to *this* list, not the OBOS-CDT list. When I put forth my
> inquiry on *this* list, I got a response from Ankur and Stephan, but
> did the OBOS-CDT list with the designated UI people come along? No.

I am pretty sure I am not the only one who knows about this mailing
list. In fact, you (or anybody else for that matter) could have known
about it too, had you taken a few minutes to read the information about
the Haiku mailing lists that is in the Community section of our website.

> In closing, I do thank you for mentioning the list, because I have now
> also subscribed. I had hoped to be pointed to it a little earlier, as
> I suppose Johan does, too. So don't take it out on him, okay?

I am not taking it out on him or anybody else. It's just that poor
etiquette in the form of off-topic threads, top posting, unnecessary
lengthy quoting and going on a tangent is becoming too frequent on our
mailing lists, and it is coming to a point where it gets in the way of
smooth communication.

So please, to all those who have not done so yet, out of consideration
for your peers on this and other mailing lists, do take a little time to
read the following pages...

...and follow the recommendations therein. Hopefully, by everybody
informing themselves, we can avoid this sort of unpleasant conversations
in the future. If that does not work, perhaps we need to consider having
moderators.

Regards,

Jorge/aka Koki