[haiku] Re: Mailing list etiquette and phones

  • From: Alexandre Deckner <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 22:24:48 +0200

Ben Allen wrote:

I don't think he was arguing againt mailing list rules, just stating that failure to follow those rules might not be a strong enough reason to avoid adding a good idea to a discussion.

Well in theory you're right, but a good idea can always wait an hour or two :) The thing to note too is that many people won't spend the time to read a discussion if it's badly formatted. Anyway, let's admit the list is and has always been very tolerant concerning those rules, so i find it only fair to remind them from times to times.. and note it's never cool to play that police role :-/

On a related note, does this mailing list live on a server under our control? I imagine that some of these breaches of etiquette (i.e. top-posting and quoting an entire thread in a reply) could be fixed via a server-side script.

It's on freelist.org . And i'm not sure how a script could guess what sentence one was replying to :)

Regards,
Alex