[openbeos] Re: Long state of affairs

  • From: "Matt Verran" <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 02:59:34 GMT

Aaron,

ATM I'm not in any fixed location but once settled put me in the team
for testing/source code release.

I do this for Cheltenham & Gloucester Building Society and suggest we
follow a siimilar example eg:-

1) replace/code an item

2) parallel test this item with the r5 counterpart, ensure both are
interchangeable

3) ensure both perform alike in operation

4) mark code as 'fit for outside consumption'

Any queries, give me a shout excuse the delay I'm in the process of
moving.

Regards,
Matt (beshare M)

> [...]
> Athelon machine. My bigger,
> normal hard drive is sitting unused in the spare machine.
>
> Because there were so many variables, I did not blame the patch as
> quickly as I should have. That was
> my mistake and I will own up to it.

> Now. Since a number  of people on the list took the opportunity to
> speak freely, so, too, will I.
>
> I have had a lot of time to think this over (waiting for my MP3's to
> move across an IDE bus, for
> example). Our first patch was not the most successful, by any means.
> Our second patch caused
> (hopefully only me) a fair amount of work. There are certainly
> problems with our process. Part of
> those problems is that I have been doing it all. I am currently MIDI
> team lead, Kernel team lead,  USB developer,
> patch coordinator, Project lead, communications with others, and any
> other duty that comes along.
> That is way, way too much. I can not be everywhere doing a good job.
>
> One of the failures of the Be community (and I think that I am just
> as guilty as anyone else, and maybe more
> so) was that we assumed that Be was everything always and that we had
> no responsibility. I got free releases
> from Be, dev support, help on line, etc from Be. I bought 1 R5 Pro CD
> (and that was from Gobe). That doesn't
> seem super equitable. We put Be on the hook for everything. We had no
> responsibilities. Honestly, I think that a
> lot of the failure of Be as a company comes from a lack of good apps.
> That was supposed to be our
> (the communites') job.
>
> In any case. We are now Be *and* the developer community. It is all
> us. OS and testing and apps and support
> and every other thing that needs to be done. It would be very
> dangerous for people to fall back into that old mentality
> of "Let Be do it". It *has* to be "Let's do it". Many people have
> stepped up to the plate in a major way for OBOS.
> But, honestly, not enough. Worse, though, have been those who signed
> up, then disappeared. I don't want to
> single anyone out, but I would guess that there have been around 20
> active contributors to OBOS. Out of hundreds.
> Folks, we can not continue like this. We can not do this alone. Not
> in any reasonable amount of time. OBOS2024 does not
> meet my expectations. :-)
>
> Many folks have complained about the "lack of testing". May I ask you
> how you would supply a patch to people
> for testing? I don't (personally) have a T1. So I use SF's. The
> patches are intended to be tested. I am not sure how people
> would offer them to the "testers". Personally, the only way that I
> know is to make them available for download. SF does
> not offer me a way to make things available to a few (dozen) people.
> So I do what I can. Honestly, the "press" around our
> releases is *not* my idea. People will post and write what they will.
>
> So. If someone out there wants to lead a testing group, please let
> Aaron know. There are already a bazillion people on the "I want to
test" list. If you don't like the organization, help to change it. I
don't have any grandiose master plan. OBOS has grown organically. And
it will continue to do so. It doesn't look much like it did 6 months
ago. And I don't suspect that it will look like it does now, come R1.