[openbeos] Re: Linux v. OBOS

  • From: Kevin Czapla <czapla@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:22:22 -0800

I may be able to help supply the requested definition of the "topic" of this
mailing list.

OpenBeOS is an all-volunteer collaborative effort to create an open-source
functional replica of BeOS Release 5 (R5). This replication effort will
result, initially, in an operating system that is commonly called OBOS R1.
Since the functionality of R5 is a fixed and known quantity, discussions
concerning possible *other* functionality that might be included in OpenBeOS
Release 1 are moot and off-topic on this list, arguably. Discussions focused
on ways and means of achieving the agreed-upon present goals of the project
are right on topic.

Future iterations of OpenBeOS (namely, R2 and beyond) may very well include
dramatic new functionality that diverges from BeOS R5 and builds upon it in
"modernizing" ways. Discussions of possible futures for OBOS are the focus
of a different mailing list, namely, the Glass Elevator list. It's a great
mailing list. Freaking smart computer users and developers discuss their
wildest dreams for the ultimate computing platform... You should sign up.

Best regards,

Czeslaw Czapla
Portland, Oregon