[openbeos] Re: Leaving OpenBeOS : David

  • From: Helmar Rudolph <helmar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 18:06:40 +0200

Axel Dörfler wrote:

> Exactly, but despite its professional presentation,
> David's statements are just rants,

Be that as it may, David is not someone who would just rant
for the sake of it. I actually met him a couple of months
ago here in Cape Town (you may not know that he's a
professional airline pilot), and I didn't get the impression
he'd leave something that in many ways is dear to him if
there was no substance to it.

Actually, I find it quite amazing what reaction (on this
list) his statement drew. I would have expected a little
more introspection and soul-searching, but instead (at least
it appears to me as) it's just put aside as a rant in which
certain individuals don't see much truth, and that (even if
it's just me) I think is dangerous, especially in the light
of people like Frans van Nispen and Ithamar Adema leaving
the team.

Remember.... there aren't all that many people interested in
BeOS/OBOS, and having highly skilled folks like the three
mentioned leave is indeed a heavy loss.

> (and, of course we can improve things, but that's mostly
> like all things could be improved - and doesn't have much
> to do with what David wrote)

If they can be improved, why aren't they improved then?

I also understand that not all ideas put forward are
feasible, but sometimes I think there is too little vision
present here and too much short-sightedness and
egocentricity. And that doesn't do anyone good, least of all
the project as whole.

Just my 0.02,

Helmar