[openbeos] Re: Leaving OpenBeOS : David

  • From: "Jonas Sundstrom" <kirilla@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 11:57:11 CEST (+0200)

"Chuck \"PUP\" Payne" <cepayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You know it not my place to speack since I an only an enduser but
> what's
> going on? I felt that lately OpenBeOS is dying. There hasn't been any
> release since 5.04 back in March of this year. I know you guys want
> re-create the horse but come on is there going to be any think that
> us the
> joe public can play with?

There's not yet a complete OS for you to download,
(like a bootable CD image) but there's plenty of stuff
to download if you know how to access the code
repository (CVS). It's all source-compatible with BeOS R5,
so you can play with CLI and GUI apps, and try (with caution)
the OBFS filesystem driver, etc.

OBOS is a clone project (for now), so if you've
got BeOS R5 you -do- have OBOS. Sort of.

If you want to help, and you've got little or no coding experience,
*test* the apps (CLI and GUI ones) and send quality feedback
(what works/doesn't work, what's different in the OBOS 'listattr'
command from the one in BeOS R5, etc)

From what I can tell, quality people are working on the core parts
of OBOS, so don't worry.

/Jonas Sundstrom. ~ www.kirilla.com ~