[openbeos] Re: Leaving OpenBeOS : David

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 06:01:51 CEST (+0200)

Helmar Rudolph <helmar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Axel Dörfler wrote:
> > Exactly, but despite its professional presentation,
> > David's statements are just rants,
> Be that as it may, David is not someone who would just rant
> for the sake of it. I actually met him a couple of months
> ago here in Cape Town (you may not know that he's a
> professional airline pilot), and I didn't get the impression
> he'd leave something that in many ways is dear to him if
> there was no substance to it.

Please, Helmar. As you may know, working with people is very different
from meeting with people. I had to work with him very closely on
OpenBeOS, I know what I am talking of.
Of course, I have never meet him personally - perhaps he would have
been easier to work with, then.

> Actually, I find it quite amazing what reaction (on this
> list) his statement drew. I would have expected a little
> more introspection and soul-searching, but instead (at least
> it appears to me as) it's just put aside as a rant in which
> certain individuals don't see much truth, and that (even if

Well, we are always in introspection mode - but that's one thing the
admin list is for. It's just that we don't discuss it all out in the
public. It doesn't work that way.

> it's just me) I think is dangerous, especially in the light
> of people like Frans van Nispen and Ithamar Adema leaving
> the team.

These are two whole different stories, please don't mix them together -
 well, I don't know what happen with Frans, and I really regret it. *
But*, he should just have told the respective team leader, and he would
not even had much to complain about. Mistakes are made, but it's also
important to accept this, go on, and be able to learn from them.

And the decision to leave is a poor one if you are interested in the
platform. We are a small team, everyone can change something.

> > (and, of course we can improve things, but that's mostly
> > like all things could be improved - and doesn't have much
> > to do with what David wrote)
> If they can be improved, why aren't they improved then?

Where have you been hiding? There have been a lot of changes, team
leaders switched, we changed to a contribution based model, and much
more.

> I also understand that not all ideas put forward are
> feasible, but sometimes I think there is too little vision
> present here and too much short-sightedness and
> egocentricity. And that doesn't do anyone good, least of all
> the project as whole.
>
> Just my 0.02,

Well, just keep'em next time :) - well, seriously, I appreciate your
concern, and seeing people leaving the project might not be nice, but
just don't react blindly at some rants by anyone.

Adios...
   Axel.