[openbeos] Re: Leaving OpenBeOS : David

  • From: "Nathan Whitehorn" <nathan.whitehorn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 18:45:43 EDT (-0400)

> Fred wrote:
>
> > Like the people who come up w/ a 'great idea' which is
> > really a way to make R1 to look more like Win XP and less
> > like R5.
>
> Careful here, Fred, because R5 is not the be-all and end-all.
> It has severe shortcomings that I for instance would not
> like to see repeated in R1. Furthermore, the time R1 comes
> out, R5 will be hopelessly outdated, UI and otherwise. Sure,
> the kits/server idea is still cool, but things move on, and
> I guess I and others are just fearing that by the time R1 is
> out, it won't pull any eyeballs anymore.
>
> That said... I fully understand why R1 is coming out the way
> it is. I'm just afraid it won't be enough.
>
> As for the ego stuff and lack of vision, it was more
> directed at those whose (IMO) short-sightedness causes
> people with enthusiasm and great ideas not to contribute (or
> get involved), because the BeOS community does have a knack
> of shooting (read: ignoring) their own developers, and Peter
> Moore's original post on BeGroovy demonstrated that (like
> many others before) very nicely.
>
> I want to end on a positive note though and encourage all
> users to provide feedback to the developers, and encourage
> the developers to be open to users' ideas. At the same time
> I would like all of you to be open to new ideas, even though
> you either don't understand them and they may go against
> your current beliefs. (Just to quickly relate that... the
> way my suggestion of capitalizing and financially growing
> OBOS was dealt with showed little effort on behalf of others
> to even attempt to understand what I was trying to
> accomplish, and there are still many more examples by others
> with great ideas and concepts, development or otherwise, who
> have received similar treatment).

Thanks again, Helmar, for providing a reasoned and forward-looking
point of view. And please do provide feedback to developers, even if it
is just "Your software rules!". If developers perceive that no one
cares about their stuff, they'll stop caring too, and you will lose yet
another developer.
-Nathan

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

Authors (and perhaps columnists) eventually rise to the top of whatever
depths they were once able to plumb.
                -- Stanley Kaufman