[haiku] Re: Launchbox

  • From: Disreali <mdisreali@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 16:23:20 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sat, 9/19/09, Jonas Sundström <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Disreali <mdisreali@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > --- On Sat, 9/19/09, Jonas Sundström
> > <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > > It's possible to design a preference panel for this
> > > purpose
> > It may just be me but that sounds much more complicated
> > than just having a simple explanatory screen-shot in the
> > users guide showing how to link apps to the
> > auto-launch folder.
>
> One of the core ideas of Haiku - the way I see it - is to
> offer a great user experience even if you didn't read the
> User's Guide.
>
> Sure it's more complicated to make a preference panel, but
> we do it for the users and ourselves all the time, so
> they/ we don't have to understand every where, what and why
> about the system.
>
> It's great that we all know how boot/launch works, and
> it's great that the User's Guide does/will explain how it
> works.
> But I think we can do even better, making it even easier
> for newcomers to get the most out of Haiku. Let's not
> force them through every lesson we had to go through, just for
> the sake of it.
>
> E.g. should we force people to use 'mkindex' or offer
> check-boxes in FileTypes? I say the latter. Why make
> things hard when they don't have to be. Understanding
> can come gradually instead of having it all explained up-front.
>
> /Jonas.

Haiku should not be about catering to those not willing to learn how Haiku
works. Haiku should be a minimally system, just as BeOS was. It should have as
much functionality as anyone wants, but not offer unneeded bloat for the sake
of making things "easy".

BeOS was not geared toward hand-holding users, and I don't think Haiku should
either. If a user wants to create such a GUI interface and have it up on BeBits
or whatever else will be out there, great. We should not be adding bloat that
is not needed.