[openbeos] Re: Larger Disk for VMWare Image

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:49:23 -0700

On 28/03/2008, François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I wanted to use the build-factory provided vmware image to do some
>  > development, however this proved difficult since the image is using a
>  > fixed size of 250 MB disk.
>  > Would it be possible to make the build-factory use a disk type that
>  > allows to increase in size?
>  >
>  > I tried to expand the disk manually using the vmware-vdiskmanager
>  > like so:
>  > vmware-vdiskmanager -r Haiku.vmdk -t 0 Haiku-big.vmdk
>  > vmware-vdiskmanager -x 5GB Haiku-big.vmdk
>  >
>  > This worked as expected and vmware saw it as a 5GB disk. Haiku
>  > however
>  > kept seeing it as a 250MB disk :(
>  >

> Growing a partition doesn't enlarge the *filesystem* within it.
>  vdiskmanager maybe knows how to also enlarge common filesystems at the
>  same time, but I doubt it knows how to do it for BFS...
>  So basically you waste space and the BFS is still layed out for 250M.

I was drafting a similar reply but you beat me to it ;)

What you *can* do is take another VMDK, partition it with whatever
tool you desire to whatever size you desire, and mount it as a second
"disk" in the VMX file. You can then use the Haiku DriveSetup to
initialize it as BFS and use it to store "extra" stuff on. You can
then mount it as a second disk any time you get a new Haiku VMDK from
haiku-files.org or wherever. You could maybe even copy the contents of
the Haiku vmdk to the newly created one in an attempt to create a
single larger Haiku boot partition.

Also, you can always build your own vmware images if you're using
Linux or another supported build environment and set the desired size
to whatever you wish as it's built.

- Urias