[openbeos] Re: Large File Woes

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 22:00:46 +0200 CEST

"Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Tyler Dauwalder <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'm getting B_DEVICE_FULL errors from the operating
> > system when I get to about 1.25GB. The device is in
> > fact, however, not full.
> The size limits vary, but I've seen a lot of this too.
> In my experience it's almost impossible to grow
> a single file to fill up a BFS partition.

It depends on many factors, but depending on the fragmentation, disk
size, and block size used in BFS, it's certainly possible. Also, when
you get a lot of these, it's time to defragment your disk - what?
That's not possible in BeOS? Yeah, sorry for that :)

In any way, I think we should add another error code for this case -
B_DEVICE_FULL is pretty misleading and confusing.

Bye,
   Axel.