[openbeos] Konqueror update (plus radical proposal)

  • From: "Zenja Solaja" <zenja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenBeOS" <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 16:11:04 EST

Hi everyone.  Just a quick note that I've uploaded BeBits with a weely
snapshot of konqueror-embedded (http://www.bebits.com/app/2422).  There
is also a touchy screenshot at: http://members.optushome.com.au/beoz/
konqueror.jpg.

Having said that, I'm about to start a 'dangerous' thread on this list.
I'm pretty sure that it will flush out some of the lurkers on this
list, and may even entice Helmar to start posting again :-)

Here is my proposal - OpenBeOS urgently tackles the port of native Qt
(without X11) to BeOS.  A native port of Qt-2.3.1 will open the
floodgates of hundreds of KDE applications, including a more functional
Konqueror, a port of KOffice (and its components) and countless other
apps.  This is a perfect project to mould the OpenBeOS group (emphasis
on MOULD).  The Interface Kit group can gain experience porting a
foreign display API to BeOS, and the networking team can also gain
valuable experience with refining the Konqueror port.

I can think of hundreds of reasons why OpenBeOS should tackle this
project, and only one reason why it shouldn't.  As I've previously
stated, this project will help MOULD the OpenBeOS group, and everyone
will benefit from the experience (developers and whats left of the
community).

I apologise for infecting the list with my sinister motives.