[openbeos] Re: Kernel status (POSIX)

  • From: "Nathan Whitehorn" <nathan.whitehorn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 12:02:29 -0600 (CST)

> >A very flexible file system layer, since it would abstract files
> > from
> >the actual kernel. For instance, a devfs addon would allow you to
> >implement mulitple driver APIs, *without* changing the kernel. You
> >could do the same with an fs layer. What's the point of addons,
> > anyway=3D3F
> >-Nathan
>
> The way I understand it, the add-ons directories are looped over by
> the kernel
> and everything in them is loaded and instantiated.

Well, almost. But the difference is important. Addons are loaded when,
and only when, something asks for them. But what can you do with kernel
addons now=3F You can make device drivers. When are those called=3F When
someone opens them. Modules=3F They work like libraries. What if you
wanted to do something else=3F Simple answer: you can't.
-Nathan

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

Insanity is the final defense ... It's hard to get a refund when the
salesman is sniffing your crotch and baying at the moon.