[haiku] Re: Just a few questions

  • From: Justin Stressman <jstressman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 09:07:19 -0400

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 7:55 AM, Jason McArdle <jasonmm1979@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just have a few... well... newbie questions :)

I'll try to answer them as a fellow newbie. ^_^

> How much of Haiku is actually based off of BeOS? I read somewhere that
> Haiku actually uses very little of the original BeOS code, so would
> anything from the original BeBook/Be User Guide still apply to it?

I believe the Tracker and Deskbar use code that was released by Be.
But most everything else is written from scratch or taken from other
sources (including the kernel etc).

The Be API is still used for the most part, but this was not taken
from the Be sources, but reimplemented by the Haiku team to maintain
backward binary compatibility with old Be application binaries.

So yes, you can still use the BeBook as a guide for the most part.

> Haiku also doesn't seem to recognize the USB headset I have hooked up.

USB Mass storage works, but most things beyond that require extra code
to support them, which hadn't been written. So pretty much other
things (which lack that "glue") aren't going to work yet.

> Also, what are there for modern programs that currently-in-use by
> other major operating systems also have a port for Haiku? It would be
> great to see Blender/GIMP/etc be available for it. It would be even
> nicer if I could set up a localhost Wordpress server.

Some apps etc have been ported, but larger applications generally
haven't, especially if they heavily rely on a particular toolset or
API that itself hasn't been ported. Also, you might be able to get
Wordpress working, but since there's really no security in Haiku yet,
it would be a "bad idea" to try hosting a website on it.

(There are some basic web servers that run on Haiku, but I don't know
about PHP etc... or especially a large database like PostgreSQL or
MySQL... I haven't looked into it in a long time.)

Bear in mind that I'm a newbie myself, so I expect there are some
flaws to my answers. ;) But that's my general understanding.

--
猿も木から落ちる