[haiku] Re: Java Status

  • From: Bryan Varner <bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 13:29:58 -0400

> While it will likely have trouble handling inter-
> applications drag and drop, it at least tries to hide.

There's DnD for Java. Most developers don't use it, because most OS's
suck compared to BeOS / Haiku with DnD support.

> I don't mind having the java language itself, but the libraries around
> it (awt, swing, ...) don't seem really suited for Haiku.

awt is nothing but a series of delegates / wrappers around native
components. If anything, AWT applications are more "native" than QT /
gtk.

Swing, is another beast. It's more like qt / gtk and has it's own
component hierarchy. However, it builds on awt, and so if your awt port
is done properly, you can end up with some really nice swing
applications.

Add to it that you can create a Haiku Look & Feel (theme / skin whatever
you wish to call it) for Swing, and applications that use the system
default look and feel (rather than specifying another one) will -look-
just like Haiku applications.

> ... I would be very happy if you can prove me I'm wrong and it can
> actually be integrated :)

Yes, it can be done. It's just a -lot- of work.

Regards,
-Bryan