[haiku] Re: Japanese Haiku distribution "Basho" R1/Alpha 1 released

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 08:56:59 -0700

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 1:35 AM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Since nobody answers, I will. Basho violates the guidelines, as in
> spite of calling itself a distro, it uses the Haiku logo as is; it may
> also be missing one or more required disclaimers (although I have not
> checked).
>
> I have already mentioned this concern to the JPBE.net guys, and their
> answer was that Basho is not a distro with long term plans, but just a
> temporary remix to cater to Japanese users until Haiku itself becomes
> localized. I think they have also expressed something along this line
> on this list as well.
>
> Whether this argument is valid ground for giving a blind eye to the
> violation or not, that's another matter.
>
> IMNSHO, having a guideline and not enforcing it (as it's happening
> here) sets a precedent for more people ignoring it, resulting in the
> very same situation that the guidelines were designed to prevent.
>
> I would be very strict on this, but it's not for me to decide, and in
> fact I don't know who makes the decisions on these things.

FWIW, these issues were brought to the attention of Haiku, Inc. with
some discussion on what should be done. Since there is no public
response yet from Haiku, Inc. on this matter, I will go ahead and
respond here with my personal opinions, as inflammatory as they might
be.

I think Basho appears to be an incomplete distribution attempt. It
seems there is a "TODO" item on SHINTA's wiki stating that the logos
would be replaced. This indicates that rather than finishing he
required steps to produce a distribution, it was a rushed release.

IMO, a remix is nothing more than a distribution. The additional
software and some changes to default settings requires changing the
trademarked name/logo accordingly per the guidelines that were
produced some time ago.

I will admit that the guidelines probably need to be updated slightly,
as they represent rules set in place before Haiku had any official
release, but I think the majority of the guidelines were put in place
to protect the brand and image that Haiku portrays, which has been set
by the developers themselves, often by voting on package inclusion,
etc. It's meant to be an international release, so any changes
necessary to make it better for Japan should, in my opinion, be
incorporated into the official release if at all possible.

Anyhow, that's my personal view on this, I do not speak for Haiku,
Inc. in this email.

- Urias