[haiku] Re: Japanese Haiku distribution "Basho" R1/Alpha 1 released

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 08:35:00

Hi Grzegorz,

Grzegorz Dbrowski wrote on Sun, 4 Oct 2009 16:31:21 +0000:
> On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 4:50 PM, SHINTA <shinta.0806@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >  JPBE.net (Haiku user group in Japan) released Japanese version of
> > Haiku,
> > named "Basho".
>
> Great! But what about Haiku Distro Guidlines[1]?

Since nobody answers, I will. Basho violates the guidelines, as in
spite of calling itself a distro, it uses the Haiku logo as is; it may
also be missing one or more required disclaimers (although I have not
checked).

I have already mentioned this concern to the JPBE.net guys, and their
answer was that Basho is not a distro with long term plans, but just a
temporary remix to cater to Japanese users until Haiku itself becomes
localized. I think they have also expressed something along this line
on this list as well.

Whether this argument is valid ground for giving a blind eye to the
violation or not, that's another matter.

IMNSHO, having a guideline and not enforcing it (as it's happening
here) sets a precedent for more people ignoring it, resulting in the
very same situation that the guidelines were designed to prevent.

I would be very strict on this, but it's not for me to decide, and in
fact I don't know who makes the decisions on these things.

Regards,

Jorge/aka Koki