[haiku] Re: Japanese Haiku distribution "Basho" R1/Alpha 1 released

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 08:09:10 -0700

Hi Stippi,

Stephan Aßmus wrote:
Jorge G. Mare schrieb:
The first step to getting helped is to recognize that there is a problem. It seems that for some Haiku people this first step is very hard to take. I can't help you with that.

From what I can tell, admitting the failures is not the big problem. The big problem is that Haiku, Inc. is simply not moving as fast as we all, including the people currently making decisions for Haiku, Inc. and managing the assets, want it to move. Things on multiple fronts are being worked on. Right now these are:

* Formulating the role and purpose of Haiku Inc to a state where it can be put up for public discussion/input and putting that on the web site.

* How to best go about enforcing the trademark policy with regards to Basho.

* Making a new financial report.

* Mailing forms to the IRS.

* ...

All of it is moving forward in tiny steps. Problems are being pointed out and acknowledged, some discussions die out for periods of time until someone reminds the others of them... Currently, Matt, Ryan, Urias and Axel are the most active. But the problem is still that things move forward too slowly, not that we won't admit that. Do we need more help? Yes, you bet! But you know firsthand how things can still be slow and how that can turn out to be frustrating.

I do understand that things like financial reports, IRS forms, etc. can be a hassle and take time, but I was not referring to that aspect of the non-profit. If you could just make all the emotional knee-jerk reactions that my original email received disappear, you will notice that in the end all that I did was suggest that a quick "we are looking into it" note be sent to to the list as soon as an issue is raised in public. This is a very very small time investment for the peace of mind that such a message would convey to both the person that made the inquiry as well as the community at large, who may not say anything, but is certainly watching (IMHO, Axel's view that I am the only one who cares is both unrealistic and perhaps self-comforting).

With regards to the Haiku Inc. disclosure, you may be overthinking it: I was not suggesting that something be formulated and put out for discussion/input, but rather that the role, purpose and scope of authority (this one being the most unclear to me) of Haiku Inc. *as it stands today* be made public; if from there anybody has an issue, that can be addressed later. I don't think this should be difficult or time-consuming; in fact, if somebody would send me the text, I would be glad to put it online nicely formatted.

With regards to Basho, my (unsolicited) opinion is that Haiku needs to be firm on the trademark issue, but embracing of the effort. Perhaps the JPBE guys can be talked into converting their remix effort into a Japanese optional package with better fonts and input method, localized FF, required settings files, etc. that is supported by the project, and hosted on Haiku Files with the other optional packages; you could think of this as a precursor to the official optional JA package supported by the Haiku installer when that functionality becomes available.

Last but not least, thank you so much Stippi for focusing on the substance of this thread.

Regards,

Jorge/aka Koki