[haiku] Re: Japanese Haiku distribution "Basho" R1/Alpha 1 released

  • From: Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 23:26:57 +0200

Hi Ryan,

2009/10/6 Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 5:41 AM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> FWIW, these issues were brought to the attention of Haiku, Inc. with
>>> some discussion on what should be done.
>>
>> When this is the case, it would be nice if any of the Haiku Inc. folks
>> sent a short email to that effect; this would give the rest of us the
>> peace of mind that the issue at hand is being looked into, and will
>> avoid any speculations due to lack of information.
>
> It is my opinion that something like this could be discussed more out
> in the open. There is nothing secret about our distro guidelines, and
> while I think we all appreciate the efforts of someone like SHINTA to
> make Haiku easier to use for Japanese users, the reality is he did not
> follow the distro guidelines.

Why would you then want to discuss it out in the open?

> In the future I will push for things like this to be discussed more
> openly. I think the Haiku, Inc. list is being misused to avoid
> "hurting feelings" or whatever the excuse might be to discuss things
> privately. I have been guilty in the past of discussing things their
> that could be discussed on this list, and from now on I will default
> to sending emails here.

But why do you want to discuss it in the open?

> But what we need from the people on this list is the understanding
> that an email from me or Urias or Matt or Axel does not automatically
> represent the "Haiku, Inc. response". In fact I think we should move
> the role of Haiku, Inc. to strictly about managing the donations, the
> use of that donated money and resources bought with that money, and
> trademarks. Not some "ultimate decider" in all things Haiku related.

Well, by this reasoning exactly you should not put this out in the
open (for the sake of openness). You as Haiku Inc. have the mandate to
handle finance and TRADEMARKS. This is about trademarks. The trademark
policy is clear and was (and is) open for community discussion. The
application in individual cases is initially not a public discussion.
Handling this is your job. A simple email with a notice to what you
were doing (or what you have done, up to you) is more in order.

Kind regards,