[openbeos] Re: Interface Kit

  • From: Jeremiah Rogers <jeremiah@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 02:32:05 -0500

Berlin uses OpenGL for 2d and 3d acceleration. This lets it do various
cool tricks (you can rotate windows on x, y and z axis for example) but
it also gives it the potential to do some things incredibly quickly.
Right now Berlin uses a CORBA interface and is based on the Fresco
toolkit, it's somewhat slow because there has been almost no
optimization done for it. Once it's optimized though, it should be very,
very fast, and OpenGL is a part of that.

I think all of the current alternative interface toolkits for beos(like
gtk) are just written as abstraction layers for the native interface
kit. Therefore it doesn't really seem possible for me to boot into R5
and get to work creating a new interface, I would either need to know
how to access the GUI directly, or I'd need to use something other than
the display server used for Beos.