[haiku] Re: Interesting user interface.

  • From: Arnold <arnoldvanh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 00:00:26 +0200

2009/10/17 Dan Pidcock <dan.pidcock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> 2009/10/16 Eddy Groen <eddyspeeder@xxxxxxxxx>
> >> 2009/10/16 Ben Allen <ben.allen@xxxxxxxxx>
> >>
> >> Typing brings up another point: how would this coexist with a
> >> keyboard?  having both in front of you on a desk would leave at least
> >> one of the devices out of comfortable reach.
> >
> > I was wondering that too! It's not being addressed in the video.
>
> At the end of the video they show the touchboard placed in front of
> the keyboard. This seems like it would be comfortable to me, although
> it would mean the touchboard would have to extend beyond the edge of
> the desk over ones lap. Others may not be so keen on that idea.
> Switching modes between keyboard and touch would also be jarring,
> although this is already an issue for the hand that switches over to
> mouse usage from the keyboard.
>
> >> This also begs the obvious question:  Would one of the "System
> >> Requirements" listed on the box for such a product include "Ten (10)
> >> Fingers"?  Would you lose any noticeable functionality if you were
> >> missing one or more fingers (or had an extra)?
> >
> > LOL "Not suitable for octopuses".
>
> It's actually a serious consideration as not all computer users have
> 10 digits. There would have to be some redundancy/alternative mode. It
> is possible to operate a keyboard and mouse with just one finger,
> although not as quick or accurately as using all 10 digits.
>
> I fancy an in/out(*) device like that. Just add the proper driver I say ;-)

Still,
What when you don't have three fingers on one hand (left (from leave))?Three
contact points is nice but falling back to only 1 and still have access to
all functionality is better.

Liked the idea of the programs (office?) ribbon, why not more than 1 ribbon
then?

Regards,

Arnold
(*) referring to the discussion recently about input and output devices
being both at the same time (touchscreens, force feedback steeringwheels,
this input device integrated with an induction cooking device so you won't
click areas you were not supposed to click anymore...