[haiku] Re: Interesting user interface.

  • From: Roland Plüss <roland@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 20:26:51 +0200

> I was impressed by this. Maybe one day this will be the default in
> Haiku. ;) Watch the video.
>
> http://flowingdata.com/2009/10/14/is-10gui-the-future-replacement-of-the-mouse-and-keyboard/
>

> -Bruno

Nice idea but not fond of it. Main problem is that in theory you can do
this multi-finger pinching and dragging but one of the mean breaking
points is that each person moves their fingers differently. What is a
pinch motion with one person is not the same motion with another.
Furthermore do you really gain anything compared to a mouse? Is there
anything shown in that video which you can not do fast with a mouse or a
keyboard? Why invent something which is not really better than what you
have already? The only thing they really do with multiple fingers is
scrolling and zooming. It's the same as having 5 mouse buttons ( I have
such a mouse ) but with multiple fingers I have 4 times more the risk of
mis-reading my finger actions ( reading correctly 3-5 fingers is more
error prone than reading a button press which is the most precise input
signal ). It's nice to look in this direction for solutions but banging
things up to 10 fingers or in general more than one finger on a
conventional computer is a problem. What would work is working with two
fingers one of each of your hands and have like two mice. But that's the
best you can get from such a system which is actually useful in the long
run. But then again can you operate two things at the same time
efficiently? So I guess time will tell but I'm unfortunately not
convinced that this is an actual solution for real world situations.

Besides multiple desktops which you scroll with your mouse beats this
system hands down. I'm working with a 8 desktop setup for hacking where
I have multiple windows open and getting to the right window simply
requires flicking the mouse wheel the right number of notches. I'm
rather sure I would beat anybody with this 10 finger system using a
multi-desktop controlled using the mouse wheel. And judging from them
using a windows like surface and talking about cluttering windows I
assume they have no idea about a Unix type multi-desktop system (
although they mentioned X somewhere but I'm not sure if they really mean
X11 ). Okay... talking too much. Post is over :P

--
Yours sincerely
Plüss Roland

Leader and Head Programmer