[haiku] Re: Interesting user interface.

  • From: Eddy Groen <eddyspeeder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 15:29:51 +0200

> 2009/10/15 Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > I was impressed by this. Maybe one day this will be the default in Haiku.
> ;)
> > Watch the video.
> >

> http://flowingdata.com/2009/10/14/is-10gui-the-future-replacement-of-the-mouse-and-keyboard/

I find this very innovative, but at the same time I am missing workspaces
and the application expander (which is strange, because they DO show the
task switcher and Exposé).

My switch to Mac OS was exactly on the right time; Spaces had just been
introduced thanks to former Be-engineers. I have gotten so accustomed to
workspacing under BeOS/Zeta that there was no way for me to properly work on
a computer without it. The way it has been implemented on MacOS, with a
"Workspaces"-type app briefly lighting up showing the direction of your
movement, is actually already a bit like the "Con10uum". I have a continuum:
Firefox/VLC[1], Word[2], Skype/Xcode[3], iTunes/Papers[4], other[5-9], with
an optional spreading of Word documents over spaces 1 through 3 if I need
several. At this point, I'm still missing the option to use a three-finger
swipe to switch from one workspace to the next (four fingers already summons
the task switcher); if that were implemented, the workspace integration with
multitouch trackpads would be perfect.

The application expander is of course something I'm still missing, but the
Snow Leopard dock pretty much helps me out by being able to right-click on
an icon to see all open windows. The system shown in the video is that all
applications are arranged in a row of small icons with the name at a 90°
angle counter-clockwise (great! how's that for neck strain?!?!?), but what
it sadly does not do is categorize them per application (the way the BeOS
application expander does). I see no merit in treating all icons equal,
while it would be more logical to sort it based on various opened
documents/threads per application.

The idea of 10/GUI actually connects to the Single Application mode in OSX (
http://osne.ws/h82 - tried it, don't like it in combination with Spaces), in
that it asserts you use one window at a time and wish to diminish times
switching between windows by saving you the hassle of searching. On Zeta, I
often used various workspaces to compare documents, e.g. to find out if all
Locale text files had the strings of the latest Zeta version. This is harder
under OSX because rather than BeOS' *blink - here is the other workspace*,
it does a little 500 ms slide animation. Still, I sometimes place two or
three Word documents on various workspaces because I want easy switching
(copy/paste, compare, etc.) without doing it in a single document.

Conclusion: the 10/GUI idea is real good. I'm especially fond of the way
they reconsidered menu management (local/global). However, the idea ought to
be further refined with existing means of window management like workspaces,
application expanders or even stacks!

Eddy