[openbeos] Re: Interested in helping, is there an app list?

  • From: Czeslaw Czapla <czapla@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:05:27 -0800

Hi, Scott.

There are a couple strategies that I can think of right now (just halfway through my first cup of coffee...).

The first is simply to "hang around" a while. Visit the Resources page at HaikuNews at this address:
http://haikunews.org/resources/

Then surf like you've never surfed before. You'll discover that there's a lot of development activity taking place quietly on a large number of fronts. When you spot an ongoing project that seems to mesh well with your interests and aptitudes, send an email to the developer(s) and offer your assistance.

The second strategy would be to visit BeBits and sign up for email notifications regarding recent submissions of new or revised applications. Here is the BeBits site map:
http://www.bebits.com/info

When you set up a (free) account for yourself at BeBits, you can opt to receive email notifications. When an email arrives in your inbox, you can see where the action is, so to speak. Visit the BeBits page dedicated to the projects in question; see what features have just been added to the applications; and review the "wish list" of future features (these often appear on BeBits pages). If you see a wish list item that interests you, contact the developer and offer your assistance.

<poach>
A third stategy would be to contribute to the Bezilla project, an ongoing effort to port and maintain Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird, and Sunbird on the BeOS platform. The project blog may be found here:
http://www.livejournal.com/community/bezilla/
</poach> :-)

Above all, as our beloved Axel once wrote to me, and as JLG himself no doubt wrote to him at some earlier time:
Be Welcome! :-)

Czeslaw

Sir Mik wrote:
Scott,

IMAP is supported by the Mail Deamon replacement. Mail programs like Beam or BeMail can use the MDR to get mail from servers. MDR is a standard part of Haiku. I suggest you try it ;)

regards,

Tim

From: Scott Nance <sconan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [openbeos] Interested in helping, is there an app list?
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 07:16:53 -0800

Hey all,

I'm interested in helping with Haiku, but I'll be the first to say that I don't have any background in os or systems level programming. Actually, I'm not sure this is the correct list, but if it's not I'm sure someone will point me in the correct direction.

What I do have a good deal of experience with is application development. I noticed that most (all?) of the mail applications for BeOS don't have Imap connectivity, so I was thinking about developing one. Are there any mailing lists or other resources to see who might be developing certain types of applications ? I don't want to duplicate other people's efforts when I could be assisting them instead.

Thanks much,

Scott