[openbeos] Re: Installing to a partition from linux

  • From: Fredrik Ekdahl <fekdahl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:39:28 +0200

On Friday 17 August 2007 13.49.46 Axel Dörfler wrote:
> Fredrik Ekdahl <fekdahl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thursday 16 August 2007 12.43.51 Axel Dörfler wrote:
> > > Have you tried to let Qemu boot from your native device and see if
> > > that
> > > gives you a different output?
> >
> > I just tried running:
> > sudo qemu -hda /dev/sda6 -m 256
> > and the output was "Failed to load OS. Press any key to reboot..._"
>
> That has to happen when you're using sda6 (instead of sda) - unless you
> set the partition offset back to zero manually, of course.

Okay

> > Is there anything else I can try?
>
> I don't know, although I would suspect a problem with GRUB here; if the
> boot block looks okay, there is no reason it should give you that
> error.

I found the problem. After reading the GRUB documentation i found out
that 'makeactive' only works on primary partitions. So after removing that,
it booted. It got all the way to the desktop, with the terminal cursor
blinking. I couldn't use the keyboard and mouse, probably because of the
incomplete OHCI implementation.
This shows that the legacy SATA driver works with nVidia MCP51 controllers. It
did seem to mess with the disk though. After rebooting and attempting to
start linux again, this was printed:

/dev/sda1: Superblock last mount time is in the future. FIXED
/dev/sda1: Superblock last write time is in the future. FIXED
/dev/sda1 has gone 46696 days without being checked, check forced.

Not sure what has happened really, but it doesn't sound too good.
Luckily it booted just fine after the checks had been performed.

/Fredrik Ekdahl