[openbeos] Re: Installing to a partition from linux

  • From: "Fredrik Ekdahl" <fekdahl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:04:37 +0200

2007/8/15, James Urquhart <jamesu@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi there,
>
> I would suggest using "sd0" instead of "hd0" when specifying the disk
> device, unless you have IDE emulation enabled (if your BIOS supports

AFAIK GRUB uses (hdX) for all harddrives, regardless of type. At least
that's what's used for my other partitions on the very same device.

> this), which considering Haiku doesn't seem to support SATA yet would
> be a good idea.

Haiku does support SATA, at least some controllers that came before
AHCI. In fact, that's the very reason I'm trying to install Haiku
natively on this computer, to test a nVidia SATA controller (and HDA
also).

> Also make sure that your partition is somewhere near the start of the
> disk, otherwise you might encounter GRUB's error 18.

I'll consider this if I encounter that error.

Thanks

> Regards,
>
> James Urquhart

Do I need to run makebootable when installing Haiku using the build
system, or is that done automatically?
What procedure did you follow when you did this, Ingo?
I'm thankful for all help I can get.

Regards,
Fredrik Ekdahl