[openbeos] Re: Installing to a partition from linux

  • From: James Urquhart <jamesu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 20:39:29 +0100

Hi there,

I would suggest using "sd0" instead of "hd0" when specifying the disk device, unless you have IDE emulation enabled (if your BIOS supports this), which considering Haiku doesn't seem to support SATA yet would be a good idea.

Also make sure that your partition is somewhere near the start of the disk, otherwise you might encounter GRUB's error 18.

Regards,

James Urquhart

On 15 Aug 2007, at 18:39, Fredrik Ekdahl wrote:

Good evening,
I'm trying to install Haiku directly to a partition from Linux (Kubuntu 7.04), by letting the build system do the work (as mentioned by Ingo a while ago).
To do this I have modified UserBuildConfig to contain:
  HAIKU_IMAGE_NAME = sda6 ;
  HAIKU_IMAGE_DIR = /dev ;
and first build using
  jam -q haiku-image
which builds everything (and let me have the ownership of the built files),
but obviously fails writing to the partition.
I then run
  sudo jam -q haiku-image
which writes the data to the partition. The last output from terminal is as
follows:

BuildHaikuImage1 /dev/sda6

Creating image ...
100+0 poster in
100+0 poster ut
104857600 byte (105 MB) kopierade, 5,07425 sekunder, 20,7 MB/s
Partition::SetTo(): active: 80
Partition::SetTo(): active: 0
Partition::SetTo(): active: 0
Partition::SetTo(): active: 0
Partition::SetTo(): active: 0
Partition::SetTo(): active: 0
Partition::SetTo(): active: 0
Partition::SetTo(): active: 0
Partition::SetTo(): active: 0
Writing boot code to "/dev/sda6" (partition offset: 58605152256 bytes) ...
writing 512 bytes at offset 0
writing 348 bytes at offset 676
Populating image ...
Deleting old MIME database ...
Installing MIME database ...
Unmounting ...
...updated 227 target(s)...

It looks to me like it succeeded and that Haiku is now installed on /dev/sda6.

To get an option in the boot menu, the following lines were added to GRUB:
(The partition is the second partition on the extended partition)
# Haiku on /dev/sda6
title           Haiku
rootnoverify    (hd0,5)
makeactive
chainloader     +1

But... When trying to start Haiku, GRUB just tells me "Error 12: Invalid
device requested".

What have I done wrong or missed? makebootable?

/Fredrik Ekdahl