[haiku] Re: Installing on a SSD?

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 20:07:51 +0100

On 2010-02-20 at 19:19:22 [+0100], PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le Sat, 20 Feb 2010 19:14:51 +0100, <hudsonco1@xxxxxxx> a écrit:
>

> > Has anyone installed Haiku on a SSD disk? Is this currently possible or
> > does this require a new driver?
>
> It should work. An SSD is still a regular IDE or SATA disk.
>
> > Are there any special considerations for BFS on a SSD?
>
> bfs is not made at all for SSDs. It writes a lot of things to the disk all
> the time, and will likely reduce the lifetime of your disk. The tricks
> available under linux (noatime and friends) are not available under haiku.
> There is no intelligent algorithm to avoid writing the same block too
> often. bfs is then definitely inappropriate for SSDs. But there is no
> other alternative if you want to use Haiku (FAT is even worse).

All of the above is true, but current SSDs should have an inbuilt algorithm
(in their controller chip) to constantly relocate/remap blocks to elsewhere
on the disk to make sure all blocks receive an equal amount of wearing out.
So while I won't say I will pay for your drive if BFS breaks it, it
*should* be OK according to everything I've read on the subject.

Best regards,
-Stephan