[haiku] Re: Installing nightly ontop of another

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 23:36:19 +0200

On 05/03/2014 01:13 PM, Ingo Weinhold wrote:
On 05/02/2014 09:01 PM, Axel Dörfler wrote:
Am 02/05/2014 09:51, schrieb Ingo Weinhold:
And there are even more complicated package relationships than simple
dependencies, like package splits, provider changes (e.g. OpenSSL ->
LibreSSL), and conflicts.
Why would we need to handle those rare cases? We would just require a
reboot in these cases.
We do not even detect such a case (the solver handles it internally), so
we cannot make such a decision.

I would be surprised if we cannot get the package names of all dependencies of a package. What more would be needed?

On openSUSE such a list of affected programs is provided. And while it
certainly isn't perfect, I can at least decide whether to restart an
affected program. After larger updates the list may be long and I can
still choose to just reboot, but sometimes only one or a few programs
are affected.

I guess before actually activating the changes, it could be determined
which programs are affects and it could be left to the user to decide
whether to activate the changes now or postpone that until reboot.

I haven't used it in practice, but it does not really sound like the optimal solution to me. I mean it would be okay to have this as an additional feature, but I wouldn't mind if "Please restart to let the changes take effect" is really only seen if necessary, not by default.

Bye,
   Axel.