[haiku] Re: Installing nightly ontop of another

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 15:56:43 +0200

On 24/04/2014 12:05, Simon Taylor wrote:
> The same ref-counting that happens in the kernel could maintain a map of
> processes to packages.
> So for example if AppA links against a library from the “libb” package,
> then activating the updated libb package could be delayed until AppA
is closed
> (along with any other active processes that the kernel reports have
references
> to any files provided by the package).
> The package demon could do the monitoring and automatically do the
activation as soon as possible.

Just checking for open count < 1 on all files in the package could be
enough for this, I'm not sure checking which app opens which files is
really useful.

> HaikuDepot could list the processes that are currently preventing the
activation
> and offer to close them all and restart them.

It could be useful to have an lsof implementation indeed.

François.

PS. Looks like everyone is using Apple Mail there, anyone knows how to
fix it to wrap text correctly? Or please complain to your OS vendor
about this bug. It's painful having to wrap it manually to answer. :-p