[haiku] Re: Installing nightly ontop of another

  • From: "SMC.Collins" <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 13:28:41 +0000 (UTC)

From: Axel D&ouml;rfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I believe it is possible to solve this at the package level.I must admit that I
haven't thought too deeply about this, but I think thathaving the package
specify how to update the package should work alright. Ie.the package would
specify from which version it can be updated live (andeventually, the update
method, ie. if a service has to be restarted, potentiallyusing a script). If
the package and all of its dependencies (for which updatesare available) can be
updated in place, the update is performed live, if not,the package activation
is postponed until the next boot.

Depending on how many packages the system comes with, we could then even
nothave the system reboot if an update just fixed a bug in Web+ or StyledEdit.

Yes, but PM makes this situation much more likely to happen, as updates will
beperformed pretty much without user effort (besides having pressed the
"updatenow" button).

Bye,   Axel.

I really think this whole aversion to restarting the system is driving
excessive amounts of needless complexity, Haiku boots fast, on pretty much any
hardware. this is a trivial non issue, just reboot the system.

Sean