[openbeos] Installer etc

  • From: Mike Hall <mjh808@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:27:38 -0700 (PDT)

Ok I'm probably a couple of years too late to even bring this up now
going by the archived discussions but I've gotta put in my 2 cents.

Firstly the installer, we're all pretty familiar with Windows approach,
some seem happy with it.. I'm not one of them.

IMO, there should not be a seperate / centralized list for uninstalling
apps, we're already familiar with getting to our programs through the
links menu or navigating our hd so naturally there should be an
uninstall option right there, right click on the link or the
executable, select uninstall..

There are many ways that could be achieved but the main thing is that
the install information remain with the executable.

Apart from the more natural method in removing an application come
other benefits such as being able to move the application's directory
at any time, you may have repartitioned or just thought of a better way
to arrange your files and are free to do just that without hassles.

Without any kind of registry to worry about there's little need to keep
original archives as most tend to do with Windows but we may as well go
a step further and add a 'repack' option to go alongside 'uninstall'
that makes use of the install info so even installed software remains
portable.

NO MORE 'Company Name'/'App Name' installations! ok I have no easy
answer to this, just please someone make them stop. :P  Nobody in their
right mind would organise their apps by company name, right?  (just a
pet peave, scuse me)

On another topic, we already have a centralized settings location and
really that's not a problem as it's in the form of seperate files, in
fact it's a blessing in disguise.. add a centralized data location
and we're in 'backup heaven'.  There's practically no work in doing
that, add a 'data' env variable with a sensible default location and
hopefully 3rd party developers will start using it for their apps data
as well as a default for the user to save to...  Not all thrown
together but in the form of directories off the data dir with a single
directory for app data for eg. data/sys/'appname'/ and perhaps generic
names such as data/images/ for user data but that'd be up to the
individual.

http://shopping.yahoo.com