[openbeos] Re: Installer Proposal

  • From: "Nathan Whitehorn" <nathan.whitehorn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, glasselevator@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 13:49:42 EST (-0500)

> Hello all,
>
> Attached is the first part of my installer proposal. I am willing to
> code it if the idea is
> supported by the rest of you lot. Here's a summary of the goals and
> features of the
> installer:
> - Provide a standard interface for customized installers
> - Create perfect uninstallers instantly
> - Support for dependencies
> - Centralized database

Here's the (really simple) way to solve this problem: attributes. Have
a "package" attribute and a "version" attribute. If two packages use
the same file, have it be like this: package1,package2. Make sure these
get attached to every file. If you want to uninstall something, just
use a query. You don't any new libraries, any new kits, or anything
else. Just a new set of conventions. I have cross-posted this to the
GlassElevator list, and hope this thread stays there.
-Nathan

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

Mosher's Law of Software Engineering:
        Don't worry if it doesn't work right.  If everything did, you'd
be out of a job.