[openbeos] Re: Innovation: Design and Programming

  • From: Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 22:42:49 +0200

On 2003-05-01 at 11:04:35 [+0200], you wrote:

> The only question I ask myself is if C++ is dying. I mean in universities
> it's being replaced by Java. And now that MS has ist own language...

C++ isn't dying and cannot entirely be replaced by Java or C#. I think it
highly unlikely that the existing C/C++ will be replaced by a "new thang"
in the foreseeable future. This is also true of COBOL and FORTRAN and
probably a few other dinosaurs. Sun Microsystems and Microsoft Inc. are
good at marketing but there is a considerable difference between marketing
and development. I know of several large scale movements to J2EE or similar
which never made it because the hardware requirements were too excessive.

Diversity and competition on a level playing field are generally good
things. This is true of operating systems, applications and programing
languages. A good programmer, which I'm not, should be able to work with at
least two significantly different programming languages.

Charlie