[openbeos] Re: Info about OpenBeOS?

  • From: Erik Jakowatz <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jos van Roosmalen <cmp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 08:01:24 -0700

Hello, Jos!

> Can you inform me about OpenBeOS. When can other people start contributing
> code? I am working with BeOS since oct 1996(BeBox).

I hope this means you want to help out! =)  I think it's safe to say
that most of the teams are busy with planning right now; a project this
size needs a lot of up front planning, which is certainly something we
could use help with.  Your best bet is to mail Michael Phipps and the
team lead of the group you're interested in joining.

> When we can see the first real results of this great project you think?

I can't speak for the other teams, but I'm planning on taking until the
new year to do architecture and design for the Interface Kit/App
Kit/app_server.  Usable code should be showing up by spring.  I know
this seems like a long time, but I'm trying to be very conservative --
it's just me and one other dev on the team at this point.  Several other
groups are in the same boat, so sign up today! ;)

> The problem is we see so many OS initiatives, but most of the time it end
> up with a bootloader and just a bit code.

Too true.  I think a big part of why this happens is that there is no
communication from the developer(s).  Without that, the users stop being
interested, and without user interest the developer gets discouraged and
progress grinds to a halt.  I, for one, plan on updating the Interface
Kit project page as often as there is anything to report.  All IK design
is going to be documented, so hopefully reading that material will give
folks something to gauge progress by.

> I hope we will see a great new OS now Be Inc seems to be dead.

Me too!