[haiku] Re: Improving the hardware driver situation in Haiku

  • From: Brian Hague <alphaseinor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 18:59:21 -0500

I'm with the agrees crowd, so lets  start the discussion... I'm not the most
active on the list, so bear with me.

From what I can tell, there are two generic  methods for doing this.
The first is to detect all known hardware in the driver list (run all
userland and systemland drivers, see what sticks)
The second is to scan all hardware locations, then assign drivers
accordingly.

IIRC, BeOS used something like the first. this would be the driver's
responsibility to report any errors upon load, or partial functionality
load. possibly have a detected failsafe driver for VESA fisrt, then try the
accelerated driver, and if the accelerated driver fails, then use VESA?

Brian Hague (alphaseinor)