[haiku] Re: Ideas for a marketing push!

  • From: Jerry Babione <jerry.babione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 04:41:16 +0000

On 11/9/11, kathy elliott <cooltechkathy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello gentleman:
>
> I am a lady and I plan on calling myself the linux lady.  I build hardware
> usng small linux systems and aros and plan on promoting haiku bigtime.  I
> think it is great and want to establish some programs and some nettops and
> laptops and some multimedia machines with software installed.  I will need
> a good office program as well as multimedia apps and games.  i have
> developed some games and will work with haiku.  Let me know I am using
> freecale qoriq and imx616 processors and will need to port haiku in the
> future.  Can I count on some help?  I will use x86 amd for now.  Kathy
> Elliott
> mystical rose technologies inc.
>

> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 11:24 PM, Matt Nawrocki
> <matthew.nawrocki@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>> Hello gentlemen:
>>
>>   So it is my understanding that Haiku is possibly approaching a beta
>> release fairly soon. Because of this, I really want the project members to
>> think long and hard about how we are going to help Haiku gain acceptance
>> as
>> an operating system for use by the general public. I think we need to
>> start
>> pushing Haiku aggressively towards big box OEM PC companies or, if that is
>> mostly a tall order, to perhaps look into companies like Roland or the
>> like
>> in order to gain a corporate sponsor.
>>
>> A good way to start off our marketing push is to have a big name computer
>> company backing Haiku up. PC-BSD for instance has iXsystems, a company
>> that
>> makes servers and workstations, helping the PC-BSD project out with
>> financial needs as well as giving the software a front for business.
>> Haiku,
>> although seemingly more narrow with a primary focus on the desktop, really
>> can gain acceptance and possibly further project financing and bring in
>> more code monkeys if we also gain a corporate sponsor. I don't want to see
>> Haiku relegated to the heap of many other random niche operating systems
>> that currently exist out there. I want it to have continual staying power
>> and great marketing.
>>
>> Anyway, does anyone have any cool ideas for marketing Haiku to the general
>> public? It would be nice if we could have a fanatic public lining up to
>> buy
>> Haiku powered equipment and stuff, just like the Japanese did here back in
>> the late 90s for BeOS.
>>
>> http://akiba-pc.watch.impress.co.jp/hotline/981219/image/beosr4_4.jpg
>>
>> I think we can replicate this experience, and bring Haiku to the forefront
>> as a serious OS with great features, unprecedented flexibility and
>> excellent ease of use. Anyone with me? :)
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Matt Nawrocki

Kathy, Matt et. al.

1) The ABI Word and/or kOffice Suites both work nicely on Haiku.
2) Our primary following - right now is for older computers. We soon
will be able to offer this group the following:
  a) A Free Current OS with a Current Browser.
  b) A choice of Office Suites.
  c) DVD Playback and Copy Utilities.
  d) Several IDE's for the Real Programmers in the lot of us.
  e) Web Hosting Capabilities (PoorMan) built in.
  f) An Advanced Programmers Editor Suite that (in My estimation)
rivals the best visual tools out there.
  g) A WYSWYG (Mozilla Suite) Composer (If Folks will go get it from Be Bits).
  h) A solid Mail Suite that still works with Yahoo and others.
  i) Bit Torrent and Ftp Utilities built in the distribution.
  j) ( I have over 90 Games Loaded ) Hundreds of Proven Games.

I've barely scratched the surface. I compiled Arora today with the
navtive QT Runtimes and C/C++ Compiler. It was easy.  I still like the
feel of WebPositive over Arora 0.11.

* Note it would be nice to have vi or vim back in the ISO's
--
Jerry Babione
Founder-Just Plain Folks Org. Inc.