[openbeos] Re: Icon Design Contest

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 20:37:25 +0200

Hi,

> I offer my PHP experience for this. I'm by no means any expert, but I'm
> able to do the following you listed:

Alright, great!

> > We need:
> >
> > * some kind of "anti-cheat" features
>
> This would probably be the hardest part. There's no problem fixing a
> block for an IP-address to vote more than once etc.. Don't know if thats
> sufficient security? It's hard to make anything bulletproof, but there's
> probably someone out there with better expertise than me on this matter.

I think simply blocking the same IP to vote more than once is fine. If
someone has enough bad energy, he's always going to find a way. I just want
to discourage clicking five times, because it is so easy.

> > * option to toggle icon grouping by "size" or "submission"
>
> I'm not _exactly_ sure what you want here. We could make something like
> your preliminary page, but make it possible to display only 16x16 icons,
> for example, so it's easy to compare. There's a lot of options here. I'm
> sure we can work something out

I meant that I might want to see each 16x16 (etc) icon side by side or each
submission side by side (like right now). Each size separate as an option is
fine too.

> > * option to change the background color
>
> No problem. We could have predefined colors as well as userdefined.

These three colors should do: #FFFFFF, #D8D8D8 and #336698.

> > * voting with optional comment maybe?
> >

> No problem.

As Curtis wrote, the voting should be more "rating in different categories".
Then maybe we can drop the "comment" idea, and redirect to this list (or the
creative design team list) for discussion.

Here is my suggestion for the categories. Rating would be 0 to 4 points?

* I could work all day without my eyes hurting, even if I set the icons to
medium or small size.

* If I sit in a train, the person next to me is going to admire my desktop
because of those icons.

* When I run Haiku the first time, these icons will give me a warm welcome
feeling.

* Even after an uptime of 2 years, I don't long for a change of icons.

* I think I could easily recognize the meaning of any icon following this
design.

* My Desktop is not going to have performance issues because of those icons.

* With these icons, I can sway in my BeOS nostalgica, but still have a
modern looking desktop.

----------

Well... I realize those categories are biased towards what I find
important... maybe more generic:

* Crispness
        - Colors
        - Contrast
        - Sharpness at low resolution

* Reconizability
        - Flexible Design allows for wide variaty
        - Ok at low resolution

* Performance
        - Complexity/Efficiency

* Coolness
        - Stylishness/Admireability
        - BeOS heritage

* Cuteness
        - Feeling of Welcomeness

> > It would be great if we had the votig page ready on Haiku-OS.org by
> > September 1st. Is this possible? I will get back to coding now (improving
> > Icon-O-Matic, integrating the new icon rendering, etc).
> >

> I can offer to make a sample page now, and if no pro web-programmer
> and/or security expert shows up, maybe we'll work something out.

Yes, that's perfect. Thank you for your contribution!

Best regards,
-Stephan