[openbeos] Re: Icon Design Contest

  • From: "Charlie Clark" <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 18:18:38 +0200

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 05:29:43 +0200, info <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From an artists viewpoint, there is simply only so many ways to present an image.
The iconfactory has the best icon-artists in the business. You will find that their icons too, look pretty much the same as anyone elses in 2006.
In todays world there is simply no limitation to what can be done in pixel space as far as 2d art is concerned--and as such, we have reached the apex of icon art with Mac OS X's icons. (see iconfactory)
I'm not sure how an artist can bring innovation to something that hasn't changed in 1000 years (2d colour art).

So, the whole idea is pointless?

While this is certainly not the place for an extensive debate on pictogram design (icon is actually being incorrectly used in this context) there is no need to be defeatist. To be pedantic: there was a major shift in European 2D art with the introduction of linear perspective in the renaissance which is why Hieronymus Bosch's pictures are now so disturbingly enigmatic.

But to the matter in hand. To state that it is impossible to come up with something new for Haiku is both stating the obvious as well as missing the point. I don't think Michael is asking for an entirely new semiotic system, simply a recasting of the existing symbolic base in a more Haiku-centric way. Just as the Be look and feel took the world by storm by taking existing 2D classics such as the symbol for toilets and creating the isometric 3D "people" symbol. Technically this is nothing new nor revolutionary but it is very distinctive. I think there is a lot to be said for retaining the isometric style but infusing it with a bit more Haiku flavour but this is certainly not the only possibility. Personally I like the leaves in the logo. Maybe we can have a bit more nature in our symbols.

Charlie