[openbeos] Re: Icon Contest Results Math

  • From: Petter Holt Juliussen <post@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 15:40:08 +0200

Axel Dörfler wrote:

Petter Holt Juliussen <post@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
IP 123.456.789.101 votes (and let's say there are 5 sets):

Set 1 average: 4
Set 2 average: 0
Set 3 average: 3
Set 4 average:
Set 5 average: 2

What about Set 4? Should I count that one in the final average as 0, or should it be skipped?

I think the only way to make the rating fair would be to skip it; after all, you can only count the votes that have been given, not the ones that were missing.
Yea, we could do that in stead. On the results page I've added both ways of calculating the average,
as well as a count of the total votes each set has received. I guess it's going to be mostly for internal
use, so the confusion is probably not a problem.

The vote count for each set is probably the most reliable way to tell which set people like the most.
Would it be possible to a) see which ones you already have voted for on the overview page, and b) to use cookies for changing IP addresses (which should be the case for assumed 97% of all users)?

I know it comes in late, but right now, I think the voting mechanism is bit too simplistic without cookies that remember the votes.
The way it works now is that it stores the IP addresses in the database. If you revisit the page you'll
notice that the sites remember your vote, if your IP address stays the same - and IP addresses
*not* staying the same is a problem yes. You're right about that.

Petter