[openbeos] Re: Icon Contest Results Math

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 22:08:25 +0200 CEST

Petter Holt Juliussen <post@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Axel Dörfler wrote:
> > Yes, but not on the overview page (where all sets are shown).
> > Like "Rate this set again" instead of "Rate this set".
> I personally don't think that's a big problem because people will
> remember what they've voted on,
> and if not, they will see that when visiting the link. But it
> shouldn't
> be too hard to add.

Maybe just the current average rating (and only if it has been rated
yet, same for the rating page itself), so that one keep the overview of
the ratings done without having to open them all again just to see
which one got last :-)

> >> and IP addresses
> >> *not* staying the same is a problem yes. You're right about that.
> > Could we do anything about that, or do you think most of the people
> > voted already, and won't do that again?
> I'm not sure how we can do that without some sort of login system
> that
> won't use IP as identification.
> Is there some other way to identify a computer over the net than the
> IP
> address?

Cookies, I'd even say they are exactly for something like that.

> I don't think it's wise to change it now though. 1200 people has
> voted
> so far, and annoucing a reset wouldn't be very fortunate.

Why would you want to reset the votes, then?
Anybody could revote again right now, too, if they felt like it.

> I'm sorry that the system had such shortcomings, and I'm sure it
> could
> be better if we'd done more with it before "releasing it".

Sure, but we can't change that anymore.

Bye,
   Axel.