[haiku] Re: IP to Geolocation API Testing

  • From: Nicholas Otley <nicholasotley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 16:23:04 +0100

Hi Ryan,

I was given 2 options to choose from (IP Info DB and MaxMind) and both had identical and accurate details.

I selected IP Info DB but either would be fine.

Cheers,
Nik

On 7 Sep 2009, at 07:59, Ryan Leavengood wrote:

As some of you may know I want to implement a small optimization on
our Haiku Alpha download page: a mirror will be recommended based on
how close it is to your estimated location (based on IP address.) This
will be done in JavaScript to reduce the load on the server. If
JavaScript is disabled the full mirror list will be shown.

Before I fully implement this, I want to test some of the free IP to
Geolocation APIs to find which one is the most accurate on average. So
please go to the following (very simple) page on my web-site, and
follow the instructions:

http://www.ryanleavengood.com/haiku/location.html

The more people who test and vote, the better choice I can make. Only
one vote per IP address is allowed.

--
Regards,
Ryan