[haiku] Re: IMAP settings in E-mail preferences

  • From: "Bruno Albuquerque" <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:37:41

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:03:30 +0200 CEST, Axel Dörfler said:

> > > It downloads the complete emails, not just the headers. I take
> > > it,
> > > IMAP is
> > > just another method to get your email (like POP3) and that doesn't
> > > imply
> > > that only the headers are downloaded. My misconception.
> > > I guess, to achieve that, you just check the "Partially download
> > > messages
> > > larger than" and put in "1" kb.
> >
> > The IMAP protocol supports downloading headers only, whether MDR's
> > implementation does so is another question.
>
> It definitely did at one point in the past, maybe that is broken now?

It depends on what is your definition of broken. A long time ago someone
(I don't remember who) decided to make MDR in Haiku more "user-
friendly". Apoarently this involved removing every single feature that
this person didn't think was useful (including the header-only download
of IMAP messages). So it is not broken per-se, as it was intentionaly
removed (and yes, I think this was a *TERRIBLE* move).

For several times I thought about scratching MDR in Haiku again and
reimporting the original sources, but I ended up simply compiling my
own MDR and using it instead of the Haiku provided one.

-Bruno