[openbeos] Re: I know I'll get flamed for this but....

  • From: "Erik Jakowatz" <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 19:36:27 -0800

Until such time as we're ready to do full system releases, I think
interim releases should be done on a team-by-team basis, with clear
stipulation that releases are alpha/beta/what have you quality, may melt
your brain, etc., etc.  Otherwise, you end up with a situation where
software that isn't ready is being pushed out with stuff that is or
release-quality software is being held back until everything else is
ready to go.  Since we're approaching development in a modular fashion,
I don't see any reason why we shouldn't approach our (interim) releases
the same way.  We'll just won't release anything as 1.0 until we're
ready to release *everything* as 1.0.

>Good question. This is an issue of active debate.
>The biggest question is testing and where to draw the line.
>I think that we *COULD* have something to release by 1/1/2002.
>It would NOT be kernel, app_server, media_kit, networking. It would be
print, screensaver,
>maybe input, plus all of the stuff that we are incorporating (mail,
open tracker, open desktop).

>The problem is that this stuff would be freshly checked in and all
alpha quality.
>It would mean that people could *well* trash their machines by using
it.
>It might wipe their hard drives, treat them badly and generally be a
nuisance.
>It might also be fine.
>
>The real question is this - what do people expect and how much of a let
down
>would alpha quality software be? If everyone is expecting us to have
polished
>software as good as Be's releases, well, don't expect to see anything
soon.
>If people want to sign up for an alpha testing program, maybe that
would be
>the route to go. I don't want to flood our mailing list with "this
doesn't work. You suck".
>OTOH, I don't want people to fade away because we haven't published
anything
>yet.
>
>What do you all think?
>

>>I'm just a lurker and don't know much but I'd say it's a bit to early
>>ask... :)
>>
>>although I'd hope to see something of running order (like alpha stage)
in
>>6-8months time...

Data is not information, and information is not knowledge: knowledge is
not understanding, and understanding is not wisdom.
        - Philip Adams