[haiku] Re: I haven't used Haiku, but from what i have seen, this is my atempt to make Haiku R2 compitable to other OSs when released

  • From: Matt Emson <memsom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 12:09:04 +0000

Andrew McCall wrote:
I have *always* had a major problem with the deskbar ever since the
very early days of BeOS.
Really? It did change from the DR releases though. You might be over stating that "hate" slightly :-)
If you are using an applicaiton and maximize
it to full screen, it covers the deskbar, meaning it requires more
clicks to complete a process than it would on OSX/Gnome/KDE/Windows.
Surely you can set "Stay on top". If not, that would be a feature to implement :-). And if the space taken is an issue, dock it as in "start menu" or "finder".

I seem to remember QNX's Photon UI got around this by reserving the
whole of the left side of the screen for its version of the deskbar,
so applications that were maximized would be 600x480 rather than
640x480 for example, but this seems a bit of a waste.

The BeOS pre-PR used a full side "dock" (calles "Browser" I believe) ala Photon. It was a little funky in use, but it did pretty much what you suggest. IMO, I don't think that going that route is a step "forward" though. A quick Google got me these images (of historical BeOS, random versions):

http://www.samag.ru/art/12.2005/84-88+BeOS%20history.files/image004.gif
http://www.samag.ru/art/12.2005/84-88+BeOS%20history.files/image002.gif
http://www.bebox.nu/images/audio1.jpg
http://www.bebox.nu/images/bebox/ppc/osnabruck/bebox_full.jpg

Obviously you might be thinking something slightly different, but I always loved the fact that Deskbar *was* so simple and didn't go OTT with features and baggage.