[haiku] Re: I, a rank neophyte installed Haiku.

  • From: Nicholas Otley <nicholasotley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 00:16:39 +0100

Hi William,

The partitioner is on the first screen of the installer. Just click "Setup Partitions" and it's quite straightforward from there on.

Cheers,
Nik

On 14 Sep 2009, at 00:12, William Ove wrote:

I have had BeOS R5 on a PowerMac 8600 for many years, and I have followed this list for a long time. I use a G4 Mac day to day, but was excited enough about a Haiku release that I went and purchased an old ThinkPad T23 on which to install Haiku.

I was successful, but it was a miserable day long process, and I did not find much information that either made sense or was helpful. It went something like this.

1) Download Haiku ISO and burn to CD on Mac,

2) boot Thinkpad from CD, works just great, but can not install for I have no partition and Haiku does not have partitioner.

3) download Linux distro and burn to CD on Mac.

4) Use Linux CD installer to create a partition

5) Install Haiku on partition created above. It will not boot and old Win OS does not boot either. Some sort of boot manager is needed.

7) Go search on info for Grub as well as how to edit grub from Linux.

8) This does work and Haiku gets added to the boot loader and Haiku boots up on the Thinkpad T23. Screen, network, sound and track pointer are all working fine.

I am a big fan of Be and am ready to jump through hoops to work in Haiku. But I must say this adventure tried my patience. The Haiku web site is a disaster for navigation, and much of the information is very difficult to follow. I used google a great deal and spent more time on Linux sites figuring out partitioning and boot manager concerns.

But the sum is that Haiku boots up on hardware. It runs well and supports lots of things needed and necessary. I look forward to installing some applications and making more and more use of it. Congratulations and Thank you.

bill

--