[haiku] Re: How is the localization of files and folders working for you?

  • From: Patrik Gissberg <patrik@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 20:26:00 +0200

Stephan:
 I would suggest to NOT respond when you don't have any issues, or
 anyopinion on the subject.

You may be right. I wasn't sure, so I requested both.

I haven't seen any issues being reported anywhere. So I thought; what would happen if nobody has any issues (meaning nobody will respond on the mailing list)? It would be difficult to make arguments for #7552 when nobody answers. But if xx persons answers saying they have no issues, that would make a big difference.

Stephan:
 There is nothing gained from the information
 that a lot of people don't see any issue.
 If there is an issue for a fewpeople, there is still an issue.

Of course. If there are issues blocking #7552, they must be reported and solved. If not, see my answer above.

Humdinger:
 I have to say that it feels kind of weird, because it's still quite a
 mix in folder names. In German, the mix of lower and upper starting
 letters is especially jarring. To have it really consistent, pretty
 much every folder has to be localized. As example, ~/config is
 localized, ~/config/settings isn't.

I'm only interested in issues that prevents us from turning the localization of files and folders in Tracker and Deskbar to on by default in nightly builds, see #7552. It is blocked by #7434, which I want to find out if anybody, besides Jonas, has had any problems with.

I truly believe we should have this turned on by default, so as many persons as possible will use it. That way there will be more persons tracking bugs and enhancement, like the one you describe. You should report that in a ticket.

#7552: https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/7552
#7434: https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/7434

Patrik