[haiku] Re: How free is Haiku?

  • From: Chris Andrew <cjhandrew@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 09:41:23 +0000

PulkoMandy,

Many thanks for your explanation. I'll do a proper install and see how it
goes.

Cheers,

Chris.

On 26 Oct 2009 09:15, "PulkoMandy" <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Le Mon, 26 Oct 2009 08:53:28 +0100, Chris Andrew <cjhandrew@xxxxxxxxx> a
écrit:

> Hi, all. > > I'm new to the list, so 'Hello!' to all. > > My background is
GNU/Linux, as a past ...
Yes. The MIT licence is enough to comply with these freedoms.
The licence was chosen back in 2001 when it looked like someone could still
take over BeOS in a commercial way and benefit code from the Haiku project,
without being trapped by the GPL enforcing them to also release their
sources.

So basically you can do whatever you want, just take care of removing the
Haiku logo and name if you make your own distribution. This logo is a
trademark and you are not allowed to use it unless there is a very good
reason. Mozilla does the same with the Firefox name&logo, for example.

So, the spirit is not exactly the same as Linux one, but the results are the
same : do whatever you want with the sourcecode as long as you keep the
copyright notice in the sourcecode.

You can read the licence text, it's only 3 paragraph long and very clear,
not like the GPL one ...

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
http://pulkomandy.ath.cx