[openbeos] Re: How far along is Haiku networking?

  • From: mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:19:18 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Nathan Whitehorn <nathanw@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Axel Dörfler wrote:
> > > AFAICT it wasn't based on FreeBSD at all, but some other BSD
> code,
> > > maybe it was OpenBSD I dunno - if it's directly based on it,
> that
> > > someone didn't bother to preserve the original license, anyway.

The code was written with "an eye on" OpenBSD, IIRC, but from scratch.
The license is not and never was an issue.

> > FreeBSD (aside from a few things we don't care about like the
> PS/2
> > keyboard driver) is now giant-lock free. The entire network stack
> > uses
>
> I know, that's one reason I like FreeBSD better than most of the
> other BSD's :-)

I didn't realize that they had made it so far with the BGL removal. That
is great!

> > addition, Dragonfly still being a novelty, and FreeBSD being
> *very*
> > widely used for a variety of mission-critical applications, I
> trust
> > FreeBSD's stack far more. In addition, while Dragonfly has been

DF forked from FreeBSD 4's last release.

> > exploring interesting new ideas, FreeBSD has added a really nice
> > 802.11
> > layer as well as some other things that would be, in the long
> run,
> > good
> > for Haiku.
>
> Definitely, I think the FreeBSD stack is the best choice we have
> (apart
> from Solaris, perhaps).

Solaris's license isn't all that friendly, though. I think that FreeBSD
seems like the best of choices.