[openbeos] Re: Hi, you're all fantastic, question

  • From: Niklas Nisbeth <noisetonepause@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 02:56:05 +0200

This is your own opinion - bear in mind that GNU/Linux is a great enterprise level OS, and a good desktop one too. I should know this much, I use it as my main OS for more than 2 years.

My interest in Haiku is mainly for it's dream API and overall robustness as a media OS and also for other uses (if the Haiku teams build it, develeopers will come).

A lot of people can't handle Linux's way of doing things, but if you can it is the best thing since sliced bread.

Having said this, GNU's people haven't created just the userland tools for Linus Torvald's kernel. A lot of developers on virtually all architectures and operating systems use some GNU tool, even Haiku is built on GCC (GNU Compiler Collection).

Oh, I run Linux (even used it for desktop - OpenBox + PyPanel + ROX is a decent combo), and OpenBSD for that matter, but that's when I have my geek hat on and need to route packages from hither to dither on hardware I get to tinker with meself. On OS X I use a lot of GPL'd tools, too for various things.

When I have my real person hat on, though, I prefer sliding yellow tabs, a responsive and consistent GUI, and an insanely great file manager... and when I have my musicians hat on, I look at BeOS and think "Why is ALSA so stupid, and why did I go through years of trash- OMS-preferences-and-reboot HELL when this was here all along?". The first generations of the best HD recorders out there (Radar) used BeOS, but all I got was (*spit*) ASIO.

Ah well. We shall overcome.

/OT (and I do mean end!)

-n